Monday, August 29, 2016

Proof point for progress

I was driving with my son and his girlfriend ... a beautiful day and we were all joking around. They're both 25 and filled with the possible, including a view that the world can change (which it can).

She:  "Can you bake some brownies tonight?"

Son:  "Sure."

She: "I love your brownies."

Son: "I know... you just think that's all I'm good for." <grin>

Me:  "Naw. She just likes you barefoot and in the kitchen. hahaha"

Silence from them...

Me:  "You know... barefoot... in the kitchen... I'm being funny..."

Silence

Son:  "I don't think we know the joke, Mom."

Me:  "Uh, it's an expression that your feminist mom was playing with... You know... It used to be ok to say women should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen."

She:  "Who says that???"

Me:  "You've never heard it?"

Son:  "Obviously not."

Me:  "Ever???"

She:  "Never. And if I did I would speak up about it. That's just not right."

Me:  "Well, I'm sure some of your friends have."

Sounds of them busy on social media

Son:  "Nope."

She:  "No."

Me:  "You just made my day."

No comments: