Thursday, September 5, 2013

Quiet

Quiet by Susan Cain ISBN - 10: 0307352153  ISBN - 13: 9780307352156
….  is a profound and wonderful book.  I know the word “profound” has many thinking “bathroom reading only” but her writing style is so easily devoured that you could easily while away an afternoon on the beach and feel entertained as well as informed. (I’m still chuckling over the Finnish joke)
It’s about introversion – in all its definitions - and how our society doesn’t value or support the many flavours that we come in.
It’s a book filled with ‘aha!’ moments. I think I learned more about myself in the first 25 pages than any feedback session I’ve ever had at work. 
From the comic (yes, that’s where I do all my real preparation before meetings and presentations)
Taking shelter in bathrooms is a surprisingly common phenomenon  susan cain Quiet
To the thoughtful (I believe our passions can & should take us beyond any comfort zones)
We are born and culturally endowed with certain personality traits…but we can and do act of character in the service of “core personal projects” susan cain quiet p. 209
Buy it. Watch her http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html TED talk.Take to heart her message which is one I believe is the heart and soul of why we should build community through mentoring and networking:
"Figure out what you are meant to contribute to the world and make sure you contribute it. If this requires public speaking or networking or other activities that make you uncomfortable, do them anyway. But accept that they’re difficult, get the training you need to make them easier, and reward yourself when you’re done." Susan Cain p. 265

No comments: