Monday, September 9, 2013

Introverts are people too

I am an introvert.

Phew! - feels good to get that off my chest. I have a 'work face' and a 'home face'... my values stay consistent but my energy is definitely quieter and slower when I am at my most creative - which is usually when I am alone behind a closed door.

However you define introvert/extrovert, we all get exhausted some days by crowds and conferences. New information and new people in a steady stream leave little room to absorb what we're hearing and thinking. It's like trying to drink from the shower and not miss a drop. 
The article on LinkedIn below has some usful tips on managing your energy effectively.
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130625152538-658789-introvert-s-guide-to-getting-the-most-from-a-conference

In the office, there's the tried and true technique of booking your own calendar to create blocks of thinking-time. At home, I sit on the porch and read and don't come back inside until I can be sure I can listen to others. It can take 10 minutes or an hour but rather than fight the need for silence, I find small gulps of it to help me pace myself along the day.

Women especially do too much and even the most social of us need downtime. It's a great mentoring topic as this is part of Emotional Intelligence and Leadership profiles.

Do you know what recharges you? How often do you do it? Is it a wish or a habit?

No comments: