Monday, March 8, 2010

International Women's Day

As one friend said, "Yay Women!"

Today is a day that means different things to many folks. www.internationalwomensday.com It is a a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future.

Some will gather and be inspired. Some will miss the day all together - being more occupied with creating change than stopping to celebrate it. Some will trade stories or statistics, marveling at the progress (or lack thereof). There’s a lovely timeline here.

I’m attending one happy gathering in support of a local women’s shelter where I have been asked to say a few words about how wonderful that we – men and women – are building a better legacy for our daughters.

But…

I would like, here, to add my own personal take on International Women’s Day.

Today is the day I actually mourn the Montreal Massacre. I shake my head that some folks answer my emails and letters because they believe (and are more comfortable believing) I am a man based on my name and reputation. My heart breaks for the women – teens and adults - who still barter sex for favours. Whose families have deserted them, sold them or abused…here in Canada and elsewhere. I am shamed by the disgust with aging and impatience with expression of emotion.

We are some of the world’s great artists and thinkers over the centuries. Doctors and world leaders. Village elders. Neighbourhood Watch program captains. Microfinance agents. Inventors. Mothers. Daughters. Friends. Contributors. Conveners. Collaborators.

The list is endless.

Imperfect? Definitely. United? Not really. Ignored? Often.

We all count. We each have a voice. We are all capable of leading change. Freewill or fate, women are the creators and keepers of the fabric of life.

Ani DiFranco – thank you for the song “Blood in the Boardroom”. It’s a strong statement but sometimes we need to remember different aspects of our power.

The world can’t go on without us.

And each time a woman is lost to us, we lose a piece of the world.

May this International Women’s Day offer you a moment to reflect on what is important to you and how you can keep it safe and thriving.

With respect,
dennie

1 comment:

Mary A. Catalfo said...

Dennie,

Thank you for a lovely post! It makes we want to crawl out from the rock I've been hiding under.

Mary