Monday, August 10, 2009

I know what I want

We all walk into meetings, coffees, committees, volunteer situations, grocery stores… thinking “I know what I want”.

I should hope so. It’s much easier for folks to help you get what you need if you can articulate it.

But there’s a next step in that thinking. Ask “what do he/she/they want?”

Putting yourself in the shoes of the person (or committee) across from you and articulating their needs is very powerful. It makes them much more inclined to offer you what you want. Notice I didn’t say you’ve given them what they want… you’ve merely shown them that you understand their situation.

I won’t go into negotiation tactics… though that’s a great review for parents and business folks alike. But if you’re building relationships – long-term or short – then including all interested parties in the process can take you to unexpected and wonderful new places.

No comments: