Friday, May 22, 2009

One size fits none

The world does not owe you a smooth path forward. While we’re all free to trample down paths that others have created - or to hack through the brush on our own - it’s your choice. No one owes you a map or a set of directions.

I hear the above sentiment often and I don’t dispute it. But recently, one of my mentorees moaned “whyyyy? why can’t it be easier?” (she had my total sympathy)

I think it’s simply that one size just can’t fit everyone. What worked for me won’t necessarily work for you. There are directions, tools and pathways aplenty out there. But if that was enough then we wouldn’t still be asking the questions - how do I get there? what do I need? what can I change? what do I want? etc.

Your style, your dreams, your circumstances …

No comments: