Thursday, May 7, 2009

Guilt

You'll possibly empathize with this... I haven't had any time this week to do what I was supposed to do or support my community (thus only 2 postings!).

So what have I been up to? Lots of planning....
* participated in a brief but intense discussion on 'accountability'.
* talked in numerous meetings about how to get communities 'engaged'.
* sent out the invitations for my next Toronto networking event.
* met with a new mentoree.
* had a great leadership brainstorm with a good friend.
* paid attention to my kid and his summer plans.
* worked. slept. ate.

And yet I'm obsessed that I didn't do enough. I feel guilty. I have another list of what I did not do this week.

I know we all have those days. So how to get through them?

Ask yourself: Did I do what was most important this week vs. what was expected?

It is easy to get bogged down in expectations. Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is stop the output. (see Aug posting - Learning to be Idle). Sometimes it's just sticking to priorities and ignoring fires. Sometimes it's just ... well, a break.

Given the cool new ideas I collected this week, it was worth a little guilt!

No comments: