Thursday, January 29, 2009

Networking - things to ponder #3

Plan ahead
As I’ve said before, if you only start networking during a crisis then you won’t get very far. You need your network in place before you have a need.

I am always amazed at the amount of folks who need to change or find jobs and call me, a stranger, because they heard I help folks.

I’m not a head hunter or job placement agency. I help folks network and understand mentoring. Yet folks just assume, because they call me, that I’ll ‘connect’ them with someone who has a job and that's the only reason to meet folks, unemployed or not.

Think about planning as the foundation of a house; building a little extra stash of cash instead of living paycheque to paycheque; or having the right tool in your toolbox for the days you might need it. (whatever image works)

Have the relationship built before you call on your community. The relationship is your tool, your stash and the foundation for reaching out.

No comments: