Monday, June 16, 2008

What to expect from this blog

Well - the blog will evolve with your comments and my writing.
I will post twice a week - most likely Sundays and Wednesdays.
I will do my best to answer questions - either directly or within a blog entry.

This blog will explore the issues around mentoring and networking as I struggle to move my thoughts throughout the summer into a book. I might post some excerpts; I might ask some questions; I might just rant.

Tell me what you're hoping to find in these posts for you?

3 comments:

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Hi Dennie,

This is a great start! Welcome to the global world of blogging!

Emmanuel
Motivatorman

Kendra said...

Keeping your network question of the day: How do you say no to a job that you've been in the interview process with for five weeks, without burning bridges or making anyone angry?

Unknown Partner said...

Congrats on the blog! I've added it to my RSS reader. :)

As for post topics...at my previous job, there was a well-established infrastructure for finding mentors in various capacities. I found some of them to be very helpful to talk to regarding what was happening day-to-day and week-to-week, with perhaps an eye on the future. And I think it did help me; in the end I left that company because I'd realised it really didn't suit me personally.

So now I'm in a new job, which I'm having a great time of, but it's a much smaller company where, in fact, I'm one of the most experienced (software) developers. I have excellent colleagues, but no real chance to find a mentor internally.

This leads me to two questions:
1) How do you find someone to be a mentor outside of your organisation, and
2) When that person is outside of the organisation, how do you handle talking about things that matter to you and your work, but might be considered confidential/proprietary intellectual property?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say in the blog, and to the book release party. ;)